Advertise On Buki's Blog

Advertise On Buki's Blog
Contact: bukiotuyemi@gmail.com

Sunday 24 May 2020

There's Hopeful And Then There's Archie



I had an appointment yesterday and was running late and rushing to get ready when a notification popped up on my phone. I went to Facebook to check it out and it turned out to be one of, if not the,  the most touching and inspiring videos I've ever come across.

A man walked into his session for American's Got Talent audition and blew everyone away with his story and his performance. You see, Archie Williams had been WRONGLY but DELIBERATELY imprisoned for 37 years in Louisiana, USA for a crime which he did not commit. In 1982, Archie was accused of attacking a woman and even though he insisted he was innocent with all evidences supporting his claim, he still went to prison for nearly four decades for it.

His is a painfully heartbreaking story of being a fall guy for a crime he was no where around when it happened. The fingerprints found at the scene of the crime did not match his at the time and THREE people testified that he was at home at the time of the crime but that did not matter to the judge or juror who sentenced to him to life imprisonment without parole, before he was freed in March 2019 thanks to the efforts of the Innocence Project, a non-profit organization that works to put end to wrongful convictions.

When the host of the show asked Archie how he coped with being locked up for almost 40 years, he replied saying  “I went to prison but I never let my mind go to prison.”

He further said that he would “pray and sing” during “dark times,” and would watch American Idol on television from prison, hoping that he could compete one day. How incredible it was to watch that day and dream come true for Archie as he delivered a powerful rendition of Sir Elton John and George Michael’s 'Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me', which all four judges praised glowingly.





I had goosebumps watching the entire video. His story moved me to tears as I felt all sorts of emotions course through me in  their entirety. I was so angry on his behalf for all the lost years and things he's missed out on, I was livid with the justice system, I was baffled at how God let it happen, I was sad for what he'd been through, I smiled through my tears as he performed with his whole heart and soul, I marveled at his strength and positivity which got him from 1982 to this point, I shuddered at the unspoken in-between stories he'd yet to tell and for those he can never speak about on his journey. Archie's story shredded me of all emotions and I tried to put myself in his shoes over the years but couldn't quite fathom it all. I wanted to hug him so bad and tell him it would be alright after all but his strength pushed through his performance and I felt like he knew that already.



One thing stuck out for me the most through this rollercoaster journey I embarked on for those nine minutes with Archie and the thousands of people in that hall with him. I realized that life can be cruel and unfair but it is still up to us not to give up or give in to the pressure. Never let the sun go down on you as you journey through life.

Just keep pushing through no matter what.

You will be alright, eventually.

Love......



4 comments:

  1. Just keep pushing through no matter what.

    You will be alright, eventually.



    Succinctly put ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿพ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch SHuuun. I appreciate your reading and leaving a comment. Keep your head up mate! Cheers.

      Delete
  2. Wow!!! I haven't seen this video (despite the fact that I am a huge Got Talent Fan especially BGT) but reading this made me feel what you must have felt. I can't even begin to imagine all those lost years for a crime he didn't commit. Glad he has been let out tho and life must go on. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly Cee-Jay, I felt every one of his emotions watching that video. This life is very somehow.

      Thanks for reading and commenting. Take care.

      Delete

Comments are feedback, so please bring them on. :) #Learning #Living