Advertise On Buki's Blog

Advertise On Buki's Blog
Contact: bukiotuyemi@gmail.com

Tuesday 8 January 2019

For The Love Of Peppered Snails




I love snails so very much that I honestly cannot describe the intense satisfaction and joy I get when I am eating well prepared, tasty, delicious peppered snails. When I resided in the UK, I remember an old friend of mine visiting and telling me that all the snails in Lagos threw a party when they learnt I had relocated. πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‚πŸŒLOL Such was and still is my love for spicy peppered snails.


A few weeks ago, a couple of friends and I were hanging out at the home of one of us when all three of us suddenly craved peppered snails. We mulled, deliberated and dragged on it for about an hour but the craving was pretty intense and eventually we started narrowing down our options of locating the best peppered snails place within our proximity. We picked a "joint" based on recommendations and description and called an Uber to take us there. Thankfully, the Uber guy grew up in that neighbourhood and knew the peppered snail place and he even highly recommend it and took us there. After a few minutes, our order was ready and packed for us to take away.



We decided to stop in a nearby supermarket and get some drinks to go with the scrumptious peppered snails whose tantalising aroma had filled up the car. As my friend and I alighted from the cab and asked the lovely cabbie to wait behind for us to quickly purchase some drinks from the supermarket, she jokingly asked me what I would do if, upon our return, I found out that the cabbie had eaten our peppered snails!!! Say what now???!!!! I very nearly turned right back around to grab my pack of precious peppered snails but we carried on into the store. She kept coming up with crazy scenarios of returning to an empty pack of peppered snails and a satisfied cabbie who could claim he was hungry and couldn't resist the aroma that had engulfed his car. And perhaps he would say he didn't have money to replace my precious snails and we would have had to work out a payment plan!! AH!!! It was hilarious and frankly scary at the same time. I wondered if anyone would truly do that.

I was traumatised and I hurriedly paid for our goods and rushed back into the parking lot. Thankfully, I didn't have to create a scene (yes, I totally would have because I do not mess around with MY peppered snails) because the lovely cabbie was chilling and waiting for us, as were my peppered snails. HeheheheπŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€





Imagine my shock this morning when I logged on to Twitter and read about the story of a food vendor who sent an order of peppered gizzard to a customer via a dispatch rider. The *&$£! dispatch rider ATE all FOUR pieces of peppered gizzard that he was meant to deliver to a client who had ordered and paid for them! I don't care what sort of problems he must have been having that day, he had absolutely no right to have done that. 


While some people are saying that the poor guy was probably hungry or broke or whatchamacallit, methinks he is just very very badly behaved. He could have found other means to satisfy his "hunger" than to jeopardise the vendor's business that way. So because he could not control his longthroat, he has now put someone's business at risk while leaving a most likely hungry and irate customer hanging. 


We cannot keep justifying bad behaviours such as this and labelling them as "poverty mentality, suffering, hungry, etc". I have watched in utter dismay and horror, grown-ups scrambling in a hostile manner at parties for souvenirs. If you don't get that umbrella, matches or gift bowl to show you attended a function, will you die? How have we become so comfortable with such mannerless behaviours while defending such with excuses such as country hard?

Let's call a spade a spade and endeavour to do better for our own good and the good of the world entirely. 

Enjoy your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are feedback, so please bring them on. :) #Learning #Living