Advertise On Buki's Blog

Advertise On Buki's Blog
Contact: bukiotuyemi@gmail.com

Monday 12 January 2015

"Turn Up In Death"??


As a growing young lady, along with understanding death and its finality, came the shock upon realizing how easily life goes on regardless. It came as a shock to me that each individual's death elicits varying reactions from people and the world at large. 

I get very irrationally upset when I think about how some people will easily eat, have sex and be merry on the day I die (if I don't die as an old woman, that is.). Now, these set of people I worry about not mourning me appropriately certainly do not even know I exist as an entity. I'm talking about the wider world and not just my family members or friends. One thing I've always desired in my subconscious is that at least a day would be set aside, nationally and internationally, to mourn my demise. I hadn't quite worked out how high up or relevant I must be to achieve this until it struck me last night, while reading a friend's Facebook post.


For me to get such recognition in death, the place and manner in which I die would most likely determine this. I was touched (and a tad miffed sha) to see the world leaders turn up for the victims of the French terrorist attack. Touched because of the seemingly united front against terrorism and it is also the sort of "standstill and recognition" I desire upon my demise but pissed off because the location and manner of the deaths had a lot to do with this particular turn up. Why hasn't such a high-up-turn-up-solidarity-walk happened in Nigeria (by Nigerians and foreigners) despite the THOUSANDS that have died from the? Why haven't we gotten the help (locally and internationally) we clearly need to combat Boko Haram? How do you do the maths of such a turn up for twelve while thousands go unmentioned as such? Was George Orwell right in saying "all animals are equal but some are more equal than others"?

 When I recall the number of innocent lives Boko Haram terrorists have wasted away in Nigeria, both civilians and Soldiers alike, without so much as the perpetrators being brought to book or a mention or acknowledgement from our government talk less of world leaders, I get very sad and work harder at not dying "anyhow" because I do not just want to be a number or statistic in an untimely death. I want justice. I want recognition and standstill. I want people to be unable to eat and have sex for at least a day because I would have mattered a lot to deserve that. I know it probably sounds crazy but it's just how I feel. I believe every life matters and especially those snatched away cruelly should be recognized individually and proper respects paid in the event of their demise rather than cover-ups of their deaths and denial of their existence.

 
I acknowledge all those who have passed away unjustly in the hands of these nefarious Boko Haram beasts and I pray their souls rest in peace and that they get justice soon enough.


#EndTheMenace #BringBackOurGirls #BringBackPeace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are feedback, so please bring them on. :) #Learning #Living