Advertise On Buki's Blog

Advertise On Buki's Blog
Contact: bukiotuyemi@gmail.com

Sunday 21 September 2014

Dealing With Sin-agog.




By now, nearly the whole world has heard about the Synagogue church building that collapsed last week in Lagos, Nigeria. As if it wasn't bad enough that the congregation of the Synagogue stopped the rescue teams and first responders from reaching the victims of the crumbled building on time, Nigerians were then given the most ridiculous excuse for the occurrence of the incident. It was as terrible and pathetic as catching an elder's hand in the offering bowl and having him blame it on the devil.

You'd think that was the ultimate insult until you realize that the collapsed building was an illegal structure. Reports and news indicate that the building was cleared for approval of two floors but the church raised it to five floors and therein lies the "demon" that caused that awful tragedy. It was an avoidable and man-made tragedy that took almost a hundred lives. If indeed I was to be proved wrong in this Article where I talked about our utter disregard to value human lives in Nigeria, then that building never should have been built to that level without the right planning for it.

As I read reports of how reporters were brutally stopped from covering the story immediately it happened and how policemen stood around and did nothing to address the madness that possessed the congregation from letting the emergency services team and volunteers in to assist the wounded, I became even more upset and bothered about the shenanigans we get up to in this country under the guise of religion. Simply because the policemen at the scene were most likely clad by TBJ (the founder of SCOAN) and on his payroll, these facts robbed them of their common sense and sensitivity to what their core allegiance should be as public servants enrolled to maintain law and order. What a disgraceful era I've found myself in, I mused in fury as more and more reports came in about politicians and government officials from far and wide sucking up to this alleged MOG (Man of God) rather than asking pertinent questions and pressing charges on behalf of the victims of this avoidable tragedy.

To add insult to injury, yesterday a furious journalist Nicholas Ibekwe revealed that TBJ had offered some journalists N50,000 "bribe" to tone the story down. Of all the reporters present at that meeting, only Nicholas refused the money. He's brought forward an audio proof of what transpired between TBJ and the reporters and I think the government ought to look into it fast. I managed to listen for almost three minutes before I furiously shut it down. I couldn't stomach the lackadaisical and casual way TBJ and the journalists reacted to the tragedy and disrespected the dead between 2.20 and 2.30 minutes into the video. They even had the cold-hearts to laugh as he flippantly told them what he wanted them to report, saying things like "let's leave the dead and talk about the living first" as they asked him what he expected them to write! The audacity and effrontery of this man and those disgraceful journalists in this audio makes my blood curl, because it sounded like he knows he will get away with anything.



I wish we could all remove the religious and tribal cloak that is covering our reasoning, see things for what they are and make a move for justice to be carried out for the dead and wounded. The issue here is plain and simple to see that an illegal structure was constructed, help was rebuffed when it mattered and money exchanged hands in a bid to cover up a story. We are, as a country, on a mission to self-destruct if we cannot separate facts from sentiments, tribal and religious bias.

Here's a link https://audioboo.fm/boos/2496625-audio-proof#t=0m5s

11 comments:

  1. It is a sad Story!!Yet people re finding excuses for this unjust action, how can fix an airplane engine into a volkswagen beetle and expect a positive result..You Lots flocking around Pastors,placing them above God in some instances I really pity You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmnnnn. I wonder what will become of this nation in a few decades time, if we continue this way. I fear for our children born and yet unborn. Corruption at every corner you turn to, even in supposed houses of God. I feel really sad.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Judgment shall start in my house" said the Lord, so am not always so upset these days when I see or hear the atrocities that some of these so called Men of God commit these days. How can he* TB Joshua* think he can buy everyone's silence Over this issue that is clearly his undoing, well I pray that the right steps are taken in order for this issue not to go down the drain.

    I was told our no 1 Citizen visited SCOAN, i wonder if the visit was to commiserate over the unfortunate incidence n enquire a detailed report of the incident or he went for laying of hands for 2015....Hmmm It is high time we the youths really stand up for what is right n take our very place in the affairs of our dear country...*drops mic*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mercy.. Mercy... #Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moments like this I loose hope...i stopped commenting on blogs and all that cos all I hear is negative stuff...when will it end?? what is to be done? How can we do it? Questions that plague my mind all the time....i so want to give up...but if I do what kind of world will my kids grow up in??? buki I am tired!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really sorry you feel this way and I sincerely hope we can turn things around in our time. Hugsssss.

      Delete
  6. I feel ur pain anonymous, I feel like that at times but dat is y we should all stand up for what is right and condemn and rebuff all d ills and corruption in our society otherwise there won't be a country in the nearest future.

    Fofo as per your president, I'm sure its for the latter.....lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot on Shaun. The onus lies on us to do what's right always.

      Delete
  7. I came, I read and I commented. Truth is, this whole issue will be swept off the carpet and nothing will be done about it. No one will be brought to book over the illegal structure which led to the death of innocent Nigerians. Notes will grease palms and 'annointed' hands will bless 'political' heads.

    Should we then embrace silence and watch as posterity is raped over and over again by those who are supposed to protect her chastity?

    The day we stop talking is the day we start dying. I believe in Nigeria, notwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are feedback, so please bring them on. :) #Learning #Living